What is DOOH?
Tech companies like Facebook and Google are pioneers in the world of online advertising. Yet when they want to advertise their newest products or features, they turn to outdoor advertising. Why do these giants choose to invest in this type of advertising? It’s simple: despite all the advantages of online advertising, for a message to get noticed, you have to go through outdoor advertising.
What is outdoor advertising? Outdoor advertising includes any visual display media found outside the home. Billboards and signs, advertisements on street furniture (bus shelters, benches, etc.), advertisements in transit areas such as airports, train stations, or metro stations. Not to mention advertising media in public spaces, like in stadiums or at the cinema, are just a few examples. These different formats represent thousands of locations and millions of screens around the world.
A chart detailing the number of OOH displays in four areas: billboards, street furniture, transit, and place-based OOH. Each category understood tens or hundreds of thousands of displays. Outdoor advertising is a broad category that today represents approximately $29 billion in spending in key markets around the world. Some of the world’s largest advertisers, including McDonald’s, Apple, Amazon, HBO, and Coca-Cola. They widely and frequently use different outdoor advertising formats for their advertising campaigns.
For example, Apple’s “Photographed with iPhone” poster campaign invited customers to submit photos taken with their iPhones. The best photos were displayed on billboards to inspire passers-by. A billboard from Apple’s “Shot on iPhone” campaign. It shows a group of people doing a timed shot where they all jumped in the air. It’s a good example of how Apple used attractive imagery shots on iPhones to create billboards people notice.
Why do media buyers love outdoor advertising? Online advertising can be frustrating for media buyers. Indeed, ad blockers are very common, and the few users who don’t are so bombarded with ads that it’s hard to stand out from them. If an ad isn’t at the top of a popular site, its chances of being seen are slim. This is not a problem with outdoor advertising. Billboards, signs, digital screens, and other forms of outdoor advertising are essential. They also cannot be blocked, unless you have your eyes closed. There is no section that takes over or lacks visibility. In other words, it’s the best way to display the colorful messages that the big brands are trying to deliver. Media buyers who have integrated outdoor advertising into their multi-channel campaigns have found that it gives a significant boost to other channels as well.
A study by Ocean NeuroScience found that “consumers are 48% more likely to click on an advertisement online after first being exposed to the same advertisement served by an outdoor display medium.” Likewise, Nielsen and the OAAA found that 46% of adults surveyed had searched online after seeing the object of that search in an outdoor advertisement. Similar results were also observed with major social networks.
How does it Work?
Outdoor advertising being one of the first advertising methods, it seems surprising that it has endured over the years. Especially since its importance and popularity continue to grow even today. What is the driving force behind this form of advertising these days? The answer: Outdoor advertising has gone digital. Renewal in this sector, made possible by the new capabilities and increased efficiency of digital signage, is behind almost all of the growth in this space. In addition to being much more practical, digital signage media offer more vivid colors and vibrancy. Replacing physical media is a long and often tedious process. On the other hand, digital signage can load different advertisements or even several images for the same advertisement. Simultaneously on the same system. These can then scroll at the frequency desired by the owner.
Many companies can manage DOOH advertising with android digital signage and can connect through their phones. Thanks to DOOH, brands showcase their products interactively. What appeals to, interests, and above all engages consumers. With this communication tool, companies can express their creativity. As this medium is dynamic, it offers several possibilities for interacting with the target. Kiosks in shopping centres, touch screens in pharmacies, and shop windows. The customer thus becomes an actor and the brand stands out from its competitors by offering them a unique experience. Content broadcast on DOOH media may be user-generated. Indeed, brands can ask their target to transmit their own content (a selfie photo, a message to send to relatives, etc.).
There are many techniques to encourage consumers to use this medium. Like, for example, in Times Square, the Taco Bell brand asked passers-by to post photos of themselves eating the brand’s new tacos with a dedicated hashtag! Brands also use DOOH to engage consumers in a game, via touch screens installed in shopping centers, for example. Consumers are in control, get a message and remember the brand name more easily.
Digital signage really makes it possible to rely on visual narration, to create a universe in its own right, and to enrich its discourse. As well as to engage its audience. Thanks to the diversity of networks and screens available and to programmatic, it becomes very easy to develop but also to deploy a relevant, flexible and affinity-based brand content strategy. This opportunity to offer branded editorial content in digital signage also opens up very interesting prospects. because it opens up an unprecedented gateway between the web or social networks and the Digital Out Of Home. However, companies must also be responsible and look at an MDM solution to ensure security and management are always achieved. This way you can be fully in control of your advertising.
Benefits of DOOH
For several years, the DOOH has enjoyed great success since this new type of communication brings many advantages:
- Companies complete their media mix with DOOH, which allows them to reach an even larger clientele. It can be done in various places and in unprecedented ways.
- Digital signage remains a medium that appeals to consumers. Indeed, 70% of the population is interested in this type of communication. According to various studies, a screen advertisement is still more effective than a print advertisement.
- DOOH saves businesses money. With digital signage, you deliver your ads in one click and thus limit the cost of printing paper.
- In terms of content, DOOH allows for greater creativity.
Examples of DOOH
To properly calibrate your communication on digital signage screens, you need to ask yourself the right questions upstream. A few simple questions will allow you to make sure that your creations will be in line with the media. This will guarantee you a better ROI by exploiting its strengths. How to position my brand or my product for my DOOH brand content strategy? If this is not yet the case, it is necessary to determine a legitimate speaking area. This is the key to a successful DOOH content marketing strategy. Provide content yes, but good. The one that is relevant, in the natural extension of your profession, expresses your know-how, your expertise. The one that your customers credit you for and that they naturally subscribe to. What is the time available in front of my audience’s screen?
Basic, however, is a capital parameter to calibrate the type of messages, the duration of the spot, the number of repetitions, the type of graphics, the articulation of the speech, and more. The longer the exposure time, the greater the memorization. But above all the more you can orchestrate a discourse around more substantial content. You can capitalize on the possibility of extending the experience on mobile. What messages are in line with the issues and expectations of the audience? Be sure to take into account the specificities of the audience and the context(s) in which your message is delivered. Obviously, we will not push the same creations to people who pass in the metro, who wait at the doctor or at the cash desk of a department store. Capitalizing on the contextualization of broadcasting can be a tremendous asset for gaining impact. Digital signage offers great flexibility in media planning, so you might as well take advantage of it. You should focus on becoming coherent and consistent. – How to capture attention and captivate? Like silence on the radio, contrasts or certain types of animation capture attention and catch the eye. The rhythm and the cadence of the video must maintain the interest, not tire the eye. You have to find the right balance to ensure that your target follows you from the first to the last second. To entertain, make people laugh, inform, arouse an emotion.
1. Touch screens in shopping malls: Touchscreens have been on the market for a long time and have steadily improved both in terms of quality and features. Today you can be offered the whole range from a simple single screen. Or a comprehensive complete system that integrates an entire device landscape. It can still be controlled just as easily via a touchscreen. It allows customers to find out more about the individual shops and even their products before they even enter the shop. Therefore they have a positive influence on the purchase decision. Large office buildings or educational institutions also benefit from indoor touchscreens. Working time recording systems, building automation systems, room reservations, or interactive blackboards or presentation screens in large format are simple. They are easier to use with touch technology. You may have seen this already in shopping malls and certain takeout places such as McDonald’s that allow you to order food via touch screens!
2. On the go advertising: As smartphones become more advanced and ubiquitous, the presence of out-of-home digital displays has increased. Indeed, the so-called “classic” uses of dynamic display are the transmission of targeted and personalized information. Or even the awareness of the audience with interactive, innovative, and unique content. However, the DOOH relies on real-time data sources and allies itself with innovative technologies. Interactions with consumers have become more important. This is thanks to new mobile technologies such as facial recognition, NFC technology (Near Field Communication). As well as beacons and geo-identification. Such technologies can allow a marketer to personalize the consumer’s experience. And even enable immediate interaction.
3. Digital signs and billboards: A characteristic of digital signage, however, is the networked structure of the output devices in the out-of-home area. These are centrally managed and controlled. The broadcast of the advertising message takes place over several distributed image areas. These are all connected to one another. The message can thus be adapted and changed precisely to the target group at any time. This not only happens several times a day but can change every hour in order to reach and pick up consumers where they are.
A media player is also required so that the message can be displayed on the smart screens. These are equipped with digital signage software and enable the content to be reproduced on the output device. Here, too, there are different media players that vary depending on the purpose and area of application. Android digital signage is a positive way to boost your businesses’ advertising in an exciting way.
A study by Wall Street consulting firm PJ Solomon shows the potential of digital out-of-home displays. DOOH media have a much better effect on passers-by than the media types TV, radio, online, or print. This was measured on the advertising recall of the test subjects. This was between 47 and 82% for DOOH areas, while the TV was only able to record 22-62%. In times when online advertising is increasingly struggling with banner blindness and AD blockers, these problems do not arise with DOOH. So it is not for nothing that a prominent future is predicted for the likable advertising medium. With the right security and management, they can indeed be a brilliant investment for any business. Especially in the coming decade when more and more companies turn to digital advertising.